Sunday, June 13, 2010

Almond Poppy Seed Bread

Almond Poppy Seed Bread

3 cups flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/8 cup canola oil (I have also substituted this with yogurt and it turned out great)
3 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
2 tsp poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp butter flavoring
1 1/2 tsp almond flavoring


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, salt and baking powder together. In another bowl, combine eggs, oil, sugar and flavorings. Beat 2 minutes. Alternate adding flour mixture and milk until well combined. Add seeds.
Pour into greased and floured pans.
Bake 35-40 minutes for mini, 1 hour for regular.

Makes 5 mini or 2 regular size loaves.

After cool, pour glaze on and let it harden.

Glaze: 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup orange juice, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp butter flavoring, 1/2 tsp almond flavoring

Note: This recipe is very forgiving. I have made it without eggs and it was great. Used butter instead of oil. I have also substituted yogurt instead of oil.
I also used chia seeds (I have a lot of them on hand) instead of poppy seeds.
I have also poured the glaze on when they were still in the pans and when they were out of the pans and either way worked fine. I love the way the glaze gets crunchy on top. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment